EDGE 2009: International EELS-Workshop
May 17 – May 22, 2009
Banff, Alberta, Canada
About the Meeting
This will be the sixth in a series of workshops on electron energy-loss spectroscopy that began in 1990 at Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada, USA. It will use a Gordon Conference-style format, with a mixture of scientific sessions and free time for informal discussions and recreation. This workshop will be taking place at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada.
**Deadline for advanced registration with discount rate extended to 20 February 2009.**
- Regular (i.e. non-students): $600 CAD
- Students: $300 CAD
- Registration fees include: 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches, coffee breaks with snacks, one dinner on the conference site, and the Conference Banquet. Each registrant will also receive Micron and Ultramicroscopy special issues of the conference proceedings.
- Deadline for advanced registration with discount rate: 20 February 2009.
- Late registration deadline: 1 May 2009.
- Note that accommodations on the conference site may not be available after the 18th March; the Banff Centre will release all available rooms for other events after 18th March.
- The EDGE meetings have limited registration to 130 participants; please make sure you register early.
To register for the conference as a delegate (each person attending the conference) and for each accompanying person, if any, please click here to upload the registration form.
- Please complete the form, print it and send the form with your registration payment to the address shown. We will log in your registration information into the conference database to reserve your place, but to secure your reservation, please fax or mail in your completed registration form with your payment by the deadline.
What is included with my registration fee?
- Delegate's registration fees include the meal package, conference tour (Wednesday afternoon), conference proceedings (Micron and Ultramicroscopy).
- For accompanying persons, the registration rate includes the meal package: 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches, coffee breaks with snacks, one dinner on the conference site, and the Conference Banquet. No tour is included in the accompanying person registration fee.
AccommodationsTo ensure accommodations at the Banff Centre, please reserve your accommodations at the same time you register for the conference (by 15th February). Rooms at the Banff Centre will be available for a limited time. For convenience to participants, we have reserved ample rooms at the conference site, at very competitive rates. The Banff Centre provides outstanding facilities.
Site accommodations at the Banff Centre
Banff Centre Accommodation Reservations: Please reserve your accommodations using one of these two options:
- Standard room single occupancy: $110 CAD/night , double occupancy $55 CAD/night, plus $7 CAD service fee.
- Superior room single occupancy: $120 CAD/night, double occupancy $60 CAD/night , plus $7 CAD service fee.
- Online reservations through the Banff Centre web site. Please click here.
- Conference Accommodation Reservation Form: Please download the printed form by clicking here. Please complete the form and mail it in with your payment following the instructions given. If you are sharing the room with a conference attendee, please include the name in the form. A separate form should be completed for each person sharing the room. If you select double occupancy, the Banff Centre will automatically provide a room with two double beds or two queen-size beds.
Note: You can reserve additional rooms before and after the actual conference. Please check with the Banff Centre for availability. The accommodation cost includes a conference service fee of $7 CAD per person. Taxes are not included in the price (see details in the form).
Plenary lecture by George Sawatzky, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
-Conference registration will be open all afternoon/evening.
-Conference welcome reception (horderves and refreshments) starts at 18:00.
-Opening Plenary lecture begins at 20:00.
Colliex Symposium: Valence EELS (O. Krivanek, V. Serin, Chairs)
O. Stephan - mapping plasmons/low-loss EELS
R. Erni - Low-loss EELS/Band gaps
Egerton Symposium: Elemental and ELNES 2D and 3D imaging
(G. Botton, N. Browning, Chairs)
R. Leapman - EELS for biology, 3D imaging
K. Kimoto - Core loss Mapping
Advances in instrumentation and ultimate physical limits
(D. Muller, P. Nellist, Chairs)
O. Krivanek - Resolution Limits in STEM
M. Haider - Resolution limits in TEM
Modeling (M. Terauchi, R. Egerton, Chairs)
L. Allen - Simulating core -losses
F. Garcia de Abajo - Simulating low-loss
Round table (Probe intensity) + Beyond Traditional
Microscopy (A. Bleloch, Chair)
A. Hitchcock - XANES and EXAFS
J. Spence - Time resolution and Spectroscopy with X-rays and electrons
B. Reed - Dynamic TEM and time resolved EELS/EEGS
Applications for Materials Science and Biology (P. Midgley,
Ph. Moreau Modeling and EELS experiments, application to batteries
L. Fitting - EELS from oxides
P. van Aken: EELS from ceramics
Applications for Materials Science and Biology (F. Hofer,
M. Varela, Chairs)
P. Schattschneider - Chiral EELS, application to magnetic materials
A. Lupini - high resolution 300kV EELS
Applications for Materials Science and Biology (S. Pennycook,
Ch Colliex, Chairs)
M. Gass - Recent results from the SuperSTEM
T. Mizoguchi - Interpreting core-loss spectra
**Deadline for abstract submission has been extended to 20 February 2009.**
Deadline for abstract submission: 20 February 2009.
Submitting Your Abstract: To submit your abstract, please click here for the Abstract Template Submission Form (Microsoft Word file). Please format your abstract following the instructions given and email your abstract with the completed Abstract Template Submission Form to the address shown.Authors will be informed of their abstract acceptance status by 1 April 2009 and whether an accepted abstract will be recognized as a Platform or Poster presentation (as indicated on the Abstract Template Submission Form). Note: Because conference attendance is limited to 130 participants, we recommend that you submit your abstract early.
Traveling to Banff
Bus Service from YYC Airport: Bus service will be available from YYC airport to Banff on 17th May. Two bus times are scheduled: 14:00 and 17:15 (after arrival of the flights from London at 15:35 and from Frankfurt airport at 16:05). If you would like reserve a seat on one of these buses, please send an e-mail to EDGE2009@mcmaster.ca. A bus fee of $20 or less may be requested when you arrive at the Banff Centre; the final cost will be determined by ridership.This bus service may be cancelled due to insufficient demand. We will notify all bus registrants of the final bus schedule as soon as possible.
Airport: The closest international airport is Calgary YYC: http://www.calgaryairport.com/
This airport offers direct flights from major European Airports (Frankfurt, London, Manchester) and several US cities. Other international connections are available via Toronto Pearson (YYZ), Montreal (YUL) and Vancouver International Airport (YVR).
Updated information on current non-stop destinations to/from Calgary is given at http://www.calgaryairport.com/flight_info/dsp_destinations.cfm
During the conference period, other destinations might be available. Check your travel agent but keep in mind the Calgary Airport is the closest to Banff.
A convenient and inexpensive shuttle service is available from YYC to the Banff Centre, approximately 1.5 hour journey. Information will be posted as in February 2009
We are grateful to the following companies for sponsoring this scientific event (confirmed to date):
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Canadian Centre for Electron Microscopy
McMaster University, Canada
Hitachi High Technologies
HREM Research Inc.
CARL ZEISS SMT
Pennsylvania, United States
French Participants Sponsor
la Société Française des Microscopies
If you would like to be a sponsor of this event, please contact: Gianluigi Botton at: email@example.com
Local Organizer: Gianluigi Botton
Program Chairs: Virginie Serin and Nigel Browning
• Ondrej Krivanek
• Andrew Bleloch
• Ferdinand Hofer
• Paul Midgley
• Joachim Mayer
• David A. Muller
• Peter Nellis
• Masami Terauchi
• Maria Varela del Arco
For questions and additional information, please contact:
Canada Research Chair in Microscopy of Nanoscale Materials
Professor, Dept of Materials Science and Engineering
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research and Centre for Emerging Device Technologies
1280 Main Street West
Office: ABB Building Room 429
Tel: + 1 905 525 9140 ext 24767
Fax: + 1 905 521 2773